Unlike other household pests that try to stay out of site, fruit flies shamelessly hover over your beautiful dining table even when there are guests!
If you normally put a bowl of fruits over your counter or table, you are probably wondering how to get rid of fruit flies in the house to stop the embarrassment…
Fruit flies have a very short life span and so they reproduce at a very fast rate which is why you will always find a swarm of them in your house.
If you are tired of these tiny flies, there are a few natural and even chemical based solutions to get rid of fruit flies.
Best Way To Get Rid Of Fruit Flies Effectively.
There is more than one best way to get rid of flies depending on your preference and the level of infestation.
Let’s look at the best 4 methods that will ensure these tiny pests don’t bother you anymore;
- Using Traps.
It is extremely easy to trap fruit flies because they are drawn to anything sweet or rotting. You are likely to see them near fruits, rotting bananas, garbage can and the sink so those are the places you should set up the traps.
There are several traps you can use some of which are homemade and others you can buy from the store because they work better.
Most traps involve putting something that attracts them such as fruits, wine and sugar into a jar or bowl and when they come to eat the content they are drowned or trapped in there.
- Treating the Drain.
While it is sweet things that attract gnats and flies to your dining room and kitchen, they usually originate from a wet area which is mostly your drainage system.
The best method of getting rid of fruit flies therefore is to treat your drainage and kill them when they are inside there before they get out.
Some of the best ways to do this is to pour hot soapy water, ammonia or bleach into your sink and gutters.
- Using Pesticides.
There are more than a few pesticide sprays you can just spray directly to the flies and they die instantly.
If you have an issue with using chemical-based pesticides you can make your own fly killing spray using rubbing alcohol usually used to disinfect things.
- Eliminating or Killing the Eggs.
The best solution of how to kill fruit flies is to actually kill the source which is the flies’ eggs.
Try to figure out where the flies are breeding and clean up. This could be a storage space, sink, garbage can, fruit bowl or even a wet mop. What keeps flies away is cleaning all these breeding areas regularly and keeping them dry.
How to Get Rid Of Fruit Flies In The House Using The Best Homemade Fruit Fly Trap.
Instead of buying fruit fly traps from the store, try these homemade traps first;
- Warm Apple Cider Vinegar.
Mix half a cup of warm apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap in a jar and drop a piece of ripe fruit.
The smell of vinegar and fruit will draw in the flies while the soap ensures they don’t get out when they come into the jar.
- Fruit Bowl Trap
Find the smelliest fruits in the market and let them rot just a bit. Put all those fruits in a bowl and cover with a plastic wrap.
Poke a few holes on the wrap where the flies will use to get in but won’t be able to get out.
- Red Wine Trap.
If you leave a little red wine in an open bottle, flies won’t help themselves from getting in. Red wine alone will intoxicate the flies until they die, but you can also drop tiny dish soap there to finish the job.
- Milk and Sugar Trap.
This is the most effective fruit flies trap though many people don’t know about it. Mix a pint of milk, table spoon of sugar and ground pepper and simmer a little.
Pour this mixture into a few bowls and set them strategically around the house. The flies will come to drink the mixture and drown in it.
Best Fruit Fly Trap to Get Rid Of Fruit Flies Fast
1. TERRO Fruit Fly Trap T2500.
One of the reasons why this TERRO Fruit Fly Trap T2500 is so popular is because it looks exactly like an apple so it blends well in the kitchen or dining room and even flies think it’s a real fruit.
The trap is activated when you remove the lid on the bottom and pout the trap contents inside the apple then set it up in strategic places.
- This patented trap lures and traps flies for up to 30 days so you don’t need to keep replacing it every other day.
- The traps are non-toxic and therefore safe to use around the entire family.
- All the flies that enter this trap cannot leave to continue breeding so after 30 days, the swarm is almost finished.
- It’s easy to use and flies find it very attractive so they get in quickly.
- Unlike homemade traps that will probably stink up your house, this trap doesn’t smell at all but it attracts flies.
- It’s too costly to be used for a month only.
2. BEAPCO 6-Pack Drop-Ins Fruit Fly Traps.
The best commercial or homemade fruit flies traps are child’s play compared to this BEAPCO 6-Pack Drop-Ins Fruit Fly Traps.
Each trap is viable for at least 30 days so you can use the entire pack for a whole six months.
- This trap is very easy to use since you only need to fill in the traps with the lure solution as per instructions.
- The lure solution use on these traps is not only non-toxic but also very attractive to flies thanks to the powerful attractant added.
- BEAPCO 6-Pack Drop-Ins Fruit Fly Traps have unique patented design that ensures the solution doesn’t spill out even if the traps are rolled over and this also means the flies can’t get out once they are in.
- It is the most effective fruit flies trap in the market because it works fast and can be used anywhere in the house.
- The traps are clear so you can see everything that is happening inside.
- Some customers claim the traps don’t work at all.
3. Safer Brand 5025 Houseplant Sticky Stakes Insect Trap, 7 Traps.
If you have some plants inside your house or just outside that are attracting flies, this Safer Brand 5025 Houseplant Sticky Stakes will help you get rid of the flies.
The insect trap is able to attract and kill white flies, fruit flies, gnats, midges and many other types of insects.
- Safer Brand 5025 Houseplant Sticky Stakes pack comes ready with seven stakes and traps that are easy to use because all you have do is stick the stakes into the soil and stick the traps into the sticks.
- Though these traps may seem small, they really attract insects like magnets and once they stick they can’t get off.
- The traps are made of natural pest control components so they are safe for use indoors and outdoors.
- These traps are able to kill all stages of insects including adults so they stop the breeding process.
- The whole pack is very cheap and even a child can afford to buy one.
- No complaints yet.
4. Fly Web Fly Trap
If you prefer something more advanced and long lasting, this Fly Web Fly Trap will do it for you. It is an electrical trap that has a light meant to attract insects to it and they stick to the glue board.
- This electric trap attracts and kills all kinds of annoying insects that will enter your house.
- It can also be used as a night light because the bulb is bright enough but not too much.
- It’s a very easy to use trap since all you have to do is put it in an electrical outlet and expose the glue board.
- The ultra violet bulb is very energy efficient at only 9-watt.
- It’s a very small flies trap that is non-toxic, odorless and safe for your family.
- Unlike other disposable traps, this Fly Web Fly Trap can be used forever and all you have to do is replace the glue board.
- Some people find it very expensive.
5. FlyFix Fruit Fly Trap (Reusable)
FlyFix Fruit Fly Trap is one of the most beautiful traps in the market and it’s designed to save you money and time.
This trap does not come with its own lure solution but you can make your own, unlock the trap to add the lure and lock it back.
- The main advantage of this trap is that its reusable and you can use it forever. Once the lure solution stops working, open the trap, wash out the solution and all the dead flies and put a new solution.
- The funnel design ensures the flies get in easily but they cannot get out and it also means the lure solution wont spill.
- These traps come in a variety of colors you can choose from to blend with your home décor.
- The traps have amazing bright colors and a very irresistible scent vortex so flies will be flocking there constantly and get trapped.
- FlyFix Fruit Fly Trap is non-toxic, safe for the family and easy to use.
- It’s a bit costly.
6. Flies Be Gone – Non Toxic Fly Trap.
Flies Be Gone trap looks a lot like homemade traps especially in the way it is used but it is more effective.
The trap works when you add natural fly food in the container as bait so it’s very cheap to use.
- This trap is very easy to use because all you have to do is open the lid, add bait and some water and hang it up.
- The trap is designed to get hot once exposed the environment and this heat makes the small of the food be more pronounced hence attracting more flies.
- It can catch up to 20000 flies in a very short time.
- The trap is reusable and you can clean it.
- Because of the mechanism used to attract flies, this trap is able to protect a larger area and get rid of all flies in the house within a few days.
- It’s non-toxic, safe and very affordable.
- It does look unsightly so you can’t hang it in the living room.
7. Eco Defense Natural Non Toxic Fruit Fly Lure.
The Eco Defense Natural Non Toxic Fruit Fly Lure is a very effective solution that can be used in many ways.
This strong blend of powerful ingredients can be poured in a bowl or several bowls and set around the house where flies frequent or you can just use it in other traps.
- The solution is incredibly easy to use and it’s up to you where you want to pour it.
- The powerful solution attracts flies very fast and kills them instantly after which you can pour the solution down the drain.
- Eco Defense is a natural and non-toxic solution that is safe to use in your house and even kitchen because it can’t harm your kids or pets.
- One bottle will serve you for months because you don’t pour a lot of solution in a bowl and its efficacy does not go down with time.
- This solution does not smell bad and it’s very affordable.
- No single complaint yet.
Buying Guide For the Best Fruit Fly Trap.
Knowing how to get rid of fruit flies in the house is a matter of getting the best traps, products and strategic places to place them.
That said, how do you get rid of flies if you don’t know which is the best product? Here is a guide to help you get the best fruit flies traps and products;
Whatever it is you choose to choose whether its pesticide, trap or hot water, your method of killing fruit flies should work a hundred percent and kill all the flies in your house.
You might need to use more than one method to get rid of all flies but the best solution must kill at least 80 percent of swarm.
The effectiveness of a trap or a solution is largely based on how many flies will come near or into it and so your method of choice must have something very attractive to flies such as sour or sweet smell, ultra-violet light and other attractants.
There are many people who claim they know how to get rid of fruit flies in the house at no cost at all and that may be true.
However, if you must buy a lure solution or trap, it should not cost you a leg and an arm because there are very many cheap options.
The best traps are those that can be reused and all you have to do is replace the lure content.
How do you get rid of fruit flies without a smelly bait? You can only kill flies by attracting them to a trap or solution that will kill them.
Your method of choice must have a sweet or fermented smell so that flies can be attracted to it. However, ensure the smell is not too much as to make the house smell bad.
It’s important to know how to get rid of fruit flies in the house so you can have a pleasant household.
Be sure to keep all foods covered or refrigerated including fruits, mops and rugs dried and ensure there are no leaks in your drainage system.
- Best Roach Killer on the Market
- Best Mouse Poison On The Market
- How to Get Rid Of Ants Outside The House