If you or your child have ever been bitten by a single ant, you are more likely to want to find out how to get rid of ants outside the house and in your home all together.
Ants are very small creatures that can cause havoc in your home especially if you stepped on their path and children are petrified of them…
Getting rid of ants outside is the best way because it will ensure they don’t get access to your house.
There are many chemical and natural ways to kill ants or repel them from your home quickly and they don’t have to cost you a fortune.
How To Get Rid Of Ants Outside The House.
Though it is tempting to kill the ants hanging around your floors and kitchen counters, the best way to kill ants in the house is to start from outside and ensure they don’t get inside the house.
Getting rid of ants outside is actually pretty easy as long as you know what you are doing;
Follow these simple steps…
- Find The Nests
Ants are very organized creatures and they not only travel together but they also sleep and gather food together in a nest.
The best way to kill ants outside therefore is to find these nests usually located on your pavement, yard or siding.
If you have a pile of gravel, timber or stones outside, you can find a nest under the pile because it’s warm and moist.
The nest can be in form of a hole, hill or wet mound so you can’t miss it or you can follow the ants path and see where it leads or coming from.
- Apply Pesticide To The Nest.
Buy a good insecticide containing bifenthrin or pyrethroid and spray directly to the nest and ensure you spray inside the holes.
- Spray The Grounds.
In case there are ants that were not inside the nests, ensure you spray most of that insecticide everywhere in your lawn, grass and on their path.
You can also apply on trees and other infested areas during early morning or afternoon and repeat every six weeks.
- Set Ant Baits.
The good thing about baits is that they attract ants just as sweet food does so they will come quickly to eat the bait.
Ants will take the bait back to their nest because they gather food and the poison will kill the entire colony of ants. Spread ant baits near pavements, cracks, possible nests and any trailing areas.
How to Kill Ants In House Fast.
Killing ants in the house is a bit tricky that outside because you don’t want to poison the inhabitants as well.
If you are wondering how to kill ants in house, the best way is to use preventative measures;
- Keeping your kitchen and bathroom clean and dry at all times.
On top of sealing any cracks and access ways with caulk, you will also need to inspect pipes for leaks and increase air circulation in your house.
- Using Essential oils:
Most natural methods used to kill ants such as borax mix can be dangerous to kids and pets so it’s best to avoid them.
Essential oils such as tea tree and peppermint oils are very effective as ant repellants especially when mixed with cayenne pepper.
Mix 6 ounces of water, a spoon of cayenne pepper and 15 drops of essential oils in a bottle and spray around your counter, crevices, door, windows and vents.
Essential oils are cheap, readily available and very safe for children.
- Using Vinegar:
Mix equal portions of white vinegar and water and spray everywhere you may have noticed ants and on their access paths.
You can also use undiluted vinegar to kill the ants and the remaining ants will not come near that area because of the vinegar.
- Using Chalk or salt lines:
It is true that ants cannot cross a chalk line or if you spray somewhere or sprinkle salt on a surface.
Use chalk or salt on crevices, doors and any entry paths to keep them away from the house.
- Cornmeal and cream of wheat;
Ants really love to eat corn meal but their bodies can’t digest it so they die eventually because of bloating.
How to Kill Ants Naturally.
There are countless methods to kill ants in your home from chemicals to natural substances. If you want to know How to get rid of ants naturally outside, here are a few methods;
- Using Hot soapy water;
Boil water and add a few drops of liquid soap and then pour it over the ants nest and pathways. This solution will kill all the ants with heat and drowning.
- Orange peel mixture;
Blend a few orange peels with water and apply on your surfaces or pour over the nests.
This puree will kill ants that digest it and repel the rest and it is safe for your kids and pets hence suitable for indoor use.
- Using Boric acid;
Boric acid is poisonous to kids and pets so should be used carefully. Sprinkle boric acid on your yard or pavement or you can mix with sugar to draw the ants in.
- Diatomaceous earth;
If you sprinkle this food grade DE around the nest, trail and perimeter of your house, you will not see a trace of ants anywhere in two weeks.
Use this product only when it’s sunny because it does not work when wet.
What Is The Best Ant Killer On The Market?
1. Advion Ant Gel Insecticide with Plunger.
The Advion Ant Gel Insecticide is one of the best ant killers in the market as it is made from a very attractive ingredient called Indoxacarb which is very effective.
This gel is very fast in acting as you will be able to see results within a few days.
- It’s made from high attractant homogenous formulations which are very effective as they attract and trap the ants within a few hours of application.
- This amazing ant gel trap is able to control all key sweet feeders and other additional species thus it’s convenient for you as you can kill more insects at once.
- The Advion Ant Gel Insecticide impacts all life stages thus you are able to totally control colonies in a few days of use.
- With this product the date on the product is the date of manufacture and the gel can last for a maximum of 2 years from the date of manufacture.
- There are no complaints yet.
2. TERRO T300 Liquid Ant Baits.
The TERRO T300 Liquid Ant Baits is among the most effective ant killer in the market.
To kill household ants all you need to do is to place the pre- filled and ready to use liquid ant bait stations near the indoor area where you have spotted the ants.
- This liquid ant bait is very effective as it attracts ants very fast and you will be able to see results after a few hours.
- With the TERRO T300 Liquid Ant Baits station, all you need to do is to place it near ant trails or where you think the ants are and just wait for them to be trapped. It’s very easy to use.
- It has a well-patented design which prevents the bait from drying out thus providing the ants with a continuous supply of liquid.
- The bait has the ability to kill all common household ants thus you are guaranteed to have an ant-free house.
- Beware they can be a little bit messy and the contents tend to ooze out.
3. Safer Brand 51702 Diatomaceous Earth – Bed Bug, Ant and Crawling Insect Killer.
If you have been wondering on how to get rid of ants in your home then you need the Safer Brand 51702 Diatomaceous Earth insect killer.
It is one of the best organic insect control, organic gardening product and organic plant disease control in this one product.
- It is a naturally derived powder product which has been specifically designed to eliminate crawling insects in your home.
- The Safer Brand 51702 Diatomaceous Earth insect killer is OMRI listed and USDA approved for organic gardening.
- This top ant killer is able to kill other insects like bed bugs, crickets, millipedes, and cockroaches thus you have more insects eliminated and controlled by one product.
- It is safe to be used on beds, mattresses and in the kitchen but you have to be careful not to apply it on utensils or food.
There are complaints that it does not work even after many weeks of using it.
4. Terro T1812-2 Outdoor Liquid Ant Killer Bait Stakes.
If you are tired of having ants in your compound and you are wondering how to get rid of outside ants then you need the Terro T1812-2 Outdoor Liquid Ant Killer Bait Stakes.
This outdoor liquid ant killer kills all the ants within a few hours.
- The Terro T1812-2 Outdoor Liquid Ant Killer Bait Stakes is able to attract and kill all the ants that are in your compound before they get inside your house.
- It is very effective as it contains 16 weather proof ant bait stakes that are ready to use thus you are guaranteed that it will work in all weather conditions.
- It is well patented and has reinforced stake ridges that have increased strength when place in the ground.
- This liquid ant bait offers the ants with both food and water source thus they will always feed on it.
- There are complaints that it is not attractive and strong enough because after a while ants just bypass the bait.
5. Eco Defense Organic Home Pest Control Spray.
The Eco Defense Organic Home Pest Control Spray is among the best ant spray on the market as it naturally kills and repels all home invading pests.
This pest spray does not only kill ants but it also eliminates spiders, fleas, stink bugs, scorpions and roaches.
- It’s made from natural and organic ingredients making it the best natural way to kill ants.
- It is very child and pet-friendly as it’s made from non-toxic ingredient making it the perfect spray to be used indoors and it has no harmful fumes or dangerous poisonous chemicals.
- The Eco Defense Organic Spray is very effective as it acts very fast and it is also long lasting thus worth every penny.
- The spray has no much odor and you can use it on your outside sofa and on mats and carpets as it’s not poisonous.
- A few customers claim it is very effective at killing ants but does not work on other insects as indicated.
6. Spectracide HG-95830 Triazicide Insect Killer for Lawns & Landscapes Concentrate.
If you have been looking for the best way to kill ants outside your house without struggling then you have to get the Spectracide HG-95830 Triazicide Insect Killer.
The spray is ready to use so you don’t need to mix it with anything and it kills up to 250 listed insects by contact
- It is very strong and provides you with 3 months of control of insects in your home and compound.
- You don’t have to worry about your crops or flowers as they will be protected but the insects will be eliminated.
- The Spectracide HG-95830 Triazicide Insect Killer is among the best ant killer in the market as it kills ant above and below ground so you are covered.
- These spray covers up to 5120 square feet of lawn making it very economical as it covers a wide area.
- There are complaints that the plastic nozzle hook up cracks and breaks easily.
7. Raid Ant & Roach Killer Insecticide Spray.
The Raid Ant & Roach Killer Insecticide Spray is one of the best rated ant killer in the market as it kills all the ants on contact.
It has the ability to kill other insects like roaches within a few seconds thus you get to kill more insects with one spray.
- It is made from Cylathrin which is very effective as it kills ants after a few minutes of spray and you have to use it for a few weeks to ensure that the whole colony is dead.
- The spray is odorless thus you can use it in your home with no worries of your children and pets getting affected making it the best ant killer for indoors.
- The Raid Ant & Roach Killer Insecticide Spray is made from a new water base technology that maintains effectiveness and improves the sprays odor.
- Be careful not to use it near your pets as it tends to react on their skin in case of contact.
Buying Guide For The Best Ant Killer On The Market
Knowing how to get rid of ants outside the house is indeed the best way to get rid of that problem for good.
With so many products in the market promising to know how to kill ants outside and inside your house, it can be hard to know which the best ant killer indoor and outdoor is;
Here is a simple guide to help you buy the best ant poison;
The best way to kill ants outside is to find the most effective ant killer that will continue killing for a few days or even weeks.
Have you ever wondered, what is the best ant poison? The answer should be one that kills all stages of the ant’s life and continues to kill until the colony is completely finished.
Ants play an important role in getting rid of some of the annoying pests in homes such as bedbugs, spiders, and such meaning if you kill ants you still have problems.
If you want to know how to deal with ants you also have to get rid of the other pests so the best ant killer should also be able to kill other pests as well.
The dilemma of how to get rid of ants in home is often caused by the safety concern if you have kids or pets.
There are plenty of products that know how to kill ants naturally so your family is safe as well. The best indoor ant killer should be odorless, safe and discreet so the family can continue to live peacefully.
If you are wondering what to use to get rid of ants, the answer should be something that will be effective in all types of weathers.
Some products don’t work when mixed with water so they can’t be used when it’s rainy or in the morning.
It’s very important to know how to get rid of ants inside the house if they annoy you. However, knowing how to get rid of ants outside the house should be a priority because that way no ants will be left to come inside the house.