If you are most people who think that the best mountain bike for the money must be very expensive, you are about to find out how wrong you have been….
There are good mountain bikes that cost as little as 300 dollars without compromising on quality, safety and durability…
Depending on your size, local terrain and the purpose of your bike, you can either buy a full suspension bike or a hardtail one that is light and fun to ride.
The best value mountain bike should be able to give you what you need when ride at a very affordable cost.
1. Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail Mountain Bike.
Diamondback Overdrive 29 is among the best all-around mountain bike that allows entry level user to enjoy riding on any terrain easily.
The bike is made of a very durable hand constructed aluminum alloy with custom formed and butted tubes so it’s not only extremely strong but also very lightweight.
- Diamondback Overdrive 29 hardtail comes almost fully assembled so all you should do is attach the front wheel and pedals and go have fun.
- The bike has a machined headtube that makes it easier for you to steer with precision and the Tektro disc brakes give you better stopping power and control.
- The 29inch wheels on this bike navigate easily on large holes, rocks and bumps so you won’t have to stop or slow down.
- This awesome bike is huge and there is a chart that helps you choose the right frame size for you.
- The seat is simply uncomfortable to some riders.
2. Merax Finiss 26″ Aluminum 21 Speed Mountain Bike with Disc Brakes.
If you are looking for the best budget mountain bike, you will be lucky to have this Merax Finiss 26″ Aluminum bike.
Despite being one of the cheapest mountain bikes in the market, this Merax Finiss delivers all the features you want in a mountain bike in a high quality and affordable package.
- This bike features a lightweight heat treated aluminum mountain frame that is very strong and bale to handle some bumps.
- The 26inch double wall aluminum rims wheels are very strong so they can handle any terrain.
- The bike is available in three color schemes to choose from and features 21 gears to make it suitable for different riding situations.
- Merax Finiss 26″ Aluminum comes 85% assembled and you will have an easy time adjusting and attaching the rest of the components.
- The front fork/suspension could be softer and more durable but it’s perfect if you are under 200 pounds.
3. Mongoose Impasse Dual Full Suspension Bicycle (29-Inch).
Contrary to popular belief, not all full suspension bikes are expensive and this Mongoose Impasse Dual Full Suspension Bicycle is a testament to that.
This Mongoose Impasse features a durable and strong aluminum frame and 21-speed Shimamo rear derailleur.
- This buke has a full suspension frame which means you get great performance and comfort no matter how the terrain looks like.
- The Element suspension fork enables you to stay in control and ensures you don’t feel the bumps and holes as much.
- On top of that it has alloy front and rear disc brakes so it’s amazing for downhill and trail riding.
- This is the ultimate 29inch bike if you want durability, speed and great performance on all terrains.
- The Mongoose Impasse is poorly packaged from the factory and it comes with damaged or missing parts.
4. 2018 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike.
Gravity FSX Mountain Bike 1.0 is among the best full suspension mountain bike for the money and it makes you feel like a pro.
Unlike the other mountain bikes at this price range that give 21 speeds, this Gravity FSX comes with a whopping 24 speeds so you can go to more places and enjoy the performance.
- The bike has front and rear disc brakes so you can stop or slow down anywhere at any time including downhill.
- Its available in a variety of sizes to fit most riders who are over 5.5’.
- 2017 Gravity FSX 1.0 does not let you feel the potholes, rocks or bumps thanks to the dual full suspension.
- The bike comes with durable double wall rims with quick release wheels so you can maneuver well through rough terrain.
- It is easy to assemble and very affordable.
- You must tighten and adjust everything before riding.
5. Schwinn Men’s High Timber 27.5″ Wheel Mountain Bicycle.
Schwinn Men’s High Timber is among the best mountain bike under $500 that you can ride both on trails and run errands around the estate.
The bike features Shimamo 21-speed twist shifters and rear derailleur that makes changing gears fast and easy.
- Schwinn is one of the best mountain bike brands and the new version such as this High Timber comes with an improved frame to enhance durability and stability.
- The Schwinn has a durable suspension fork so you will have a comfortable riding experience in any terrain.
- The alloy wheels and alloy brakes make it easy and fast to stop or slow down.
- This bike has 27.5-inch wheels in a medium size frame so you get amazing stability and maneuverability in tight corners.
- The frame is a bit heavy and assembly is hard.
6. Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive Hardtail Mountain Bike.
If you want the best mountain bike under 500 dollars, you might want to consider this Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive Hardtail with a durable aluminum frame and 4-inch Suntour suspension fork.
This hardtail is a solid beginner bike that will make will give you a precise and stable ride on trails and on road.
- Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive Hardtail comes with 27.5’’wheels with big knobby tires so you can grip every rock and hole with confidence.
- The amazing suspension fork ensures you don’t feel the impact of a rough trail as much and you can change gears efficiently.
- This bike has up to 24 gears to help you explore hills and valleys.
- With Aries mechanical disc brakes, you can stop or slow down abruptly in any terrain so it’s great for downhill rides.
- The bike comes ride ready and all you should do is adjust some parts and pieces.
- The seat is not soft.
7. Huffy Men’s Torch 3.0 Mountain Bike, 29 inches.
Huffy Men’s Torch 3.0 is among the best mountain bike for the money costing just under 200 dollars.
The bike is made of Hi-ten steel with a high-quality hardtail frame and Shimamo speed derailleur so its very fun to ride.
- Huffy Men’s Torch 3.0 comes with knobby 29 inch tires that fly over any rocks or roots bulging on the trail.
- This bike is matte Neon red in color so it stands out beautifully and it is unisex.
- The 21-speed twist shifting and alloy linear pull brakes ensure you have enough confidence to go to any terrain because you can maneuver and stop easily.
- The bike is very easy to assemble and the oversize tires give you a very cushioned ride.
Buying Guide For The Best Mountain Bike For The Money
Buying the best mountain bike for the money is not as farfetched as it used to be a while back.
With a couple of hundred dollars with you, you can find an array of the best bikes for trail as well as road riding.
Apart from the price, here are some of the features you should look for in the best cheap mountain bike;
- Wheel size
The size of a wheel determines how stable and agile your bike will be in any situation. The most popular wheel size with mountain bikes has been the 26inches because they are stable, agile and able to maneuver through tight corners and turns.
However, over achievers find the 29inch wheels to be better especially on rough terrain because they are very stable and give you more control and sustained momentum.27.5-inch wheels is the size in between if you want both maneuverability and amazing performance.
- Type Of Bike
There are two types of cool mountain bikes essentially which are full suspension and hardtail. If you are a beginner, hardtail mountain bikes are the best entry level bikes because they are cheaper, easier to ride and mechanically simpler so you won’t be confused all the time.
Professionals on the other hand prefer full suspension bikes especially for trail riding because they have enhanced absorption and better performance overall.
The best mountain bike under 1000 dollars should be durable and able to serve the purpose it was meant for. Certain features such as an alloy aluminum frame and rear derailleur make a bike not just strong but also durable.
The best mountain bike for the money should also be lightweight and adjustable so any adult can be able to ride it with ease. Other great features include rear and front disc brakes, suspension fork and a kickstand.
Though it is possible to get the best mountain bike for the money at a very low cost, one must ensure that they practice with entry level bikes for a while before going to high end ones that are much faster and powerful and always remember to wear the best mountain bike helmet for the money while enjoying your ride.