Ten Celebrity Secrets about Jane Goodall…
If you have been following my blog you probably know that I have been a Jane Goodall
wannabe since I was three; was preparing to be one of her interns at
Gombe Stream National Park before the kidnapping incident;
and since 2004 have worked as Africa Adventures Specialist for
Dr. Jane is an amazing woman and a role model for so many. I share these things about Jane Goodall for fun, and because we all love a glimpse into the real lives of our favorite celebrities.
Here you go:
9 bits of celebrity information I doubt you know about Jane Goodall, and one you need to guess at the end.
1. Dave Matthews wrote a song for Jane.
When he sang it to her in LA she may have blushed.
They have such a sweet friendship – always teasing each other. (Dave is very funny!)
There is a photo of Jane and Dave Matthews together in a bathtub.
But, just so you know neither Jane Goodall nor Dave Matthews were naked in that tub.
It was an old claw legged tub that was sitting outside without plumbing.
The shot was taken by one of Jane’s dearest friends.
2. That dearest friend is Tom Mangelson.
You know, the photographer famous for his photo of the
open mouthed grizzly bear catching salmon in mid-air.
Tom Mangelson’s photo galleries are in the Denver airport,
Park City and elsewhere. But his home turf Jackson Hole, Wyoming gallery is my favorite.
3. Jane Goodall travels about 300 days out of the year.
With that amount of traveling, and her celebrity status, you would think she
would insist on flying first class, or at least business. She doesn’t.
Although her schedule is celebrity like, her lifestyle choices are basic and simple.
4. On the road she lives out of one piece of carry-on luggage.
5. Jane Goodall rarely has time to visit the place where it all started – Gombe Stream National Park. When she is there shooting a movie for Discovery, or working with the Gombe researchers, she takes a day to herself. After only a cup of coffee and a banana, she spends the day walking alone in the forest.
6. Although Jane Goodall owns two homes – one in Dar es Salaam, and one in Britain -
she is rarely at either. The home she had in Gombe Stream Park is now a historical building
owned by the Tanzania Park Services.
7. Jane Goodall’s assistant, Mary, has been by Dr. Janes side 24 / 7 since 1995.
Mary can handle any situation. She is Jane’s Tarzan. She receives about 150 emails a day,
and no matter where Mary is in the world, she usually responds the same day.
8. A Jane Goodall secret that is probably not a surprise considering her love of animals,
is that she is a strict vegetarian. One time Dr. Jane found a bug in a bowl of soup
she had been served at a restaurant. Instead of returning the soup,
she retrieved the little bug and set it on a napkin to dry out it’s wings.
9. Jane Goodall’s mother Vanne, was good friends with my grandfather, Denis Robinson.
I will be writing a post about this in the near future.
10. If you had Jane Goodall over for dinner and offered her a cocktail, what would her drink of choice be? I am going to make you work for this one.
Take a guess.
Hint: she is British and spent years in Africa.
What did you find most surprising about Dr. Jane?
Do you have any other interesting things to add about Jane Goodall?
What is your guess for question number 10?